Stormwater Management for 2015
According to the State Department of Environmental Protection, STORMWATER ONLY may enter the storm water system. There are many resources available explaining the need for clean water and what you, as a community member, can help Colwyn Borough reduce the flow of non-stormwater into our storm water system. For example:
- Pick up your grass and leaves to compost rather than blowing them into the streets to be washed into the storm system.
- If a spill of a hazardous material occurs – oil, antifreeze, gasoline, etc. - don’t wash it into the street, clean it up using an absorbant material such as kitty litter.
- Washing your car? Take it to a car wash, which has special systems to recycle the water. If you can’t go to a car wash, then wash your vehicle on the lawn with a non-toxic detergent. Your lawn will thank you and you will reduce the chances of detergent getting into the stormwater system.
Listed below are some GREAT tips for Stormwater Management!
Sunday, March 8, 2015
2:00 pm to 3:30 pm
Penn State Brandywine
Tomezsko Building Auditorium
25 Yearsley Mill Road
Media, PA 19063
“Sustainable Landscape Management for Landowners”
How sustainable practices in land management create a healthier home landscape.
How soil and plant management affects water quality
Using stormwater as a resource to sustain landscapes
Best practices for the design and everyday maintenance of your landscape
Visit www.crcwatersheds.org or call 610-359-1440 for more information and to register for this free event.
STREAM CLEAN UP! Clean Water starts with US!
There will be a creek cleanup on Saturday April 25th both in Ridley and Colwyn. Flyers for both events are listed below:
RAIN GARDEN Workshop
Sunday, May 3, 2015
1:00 pm to 3:00 pm
Sunday, May 17, 2015
2:00 pm to 4:00 pm
Media Borough Hall/
Learn how to create your own rain garden, including:
Picking the right size and location for your garden
Testing and preparing the soil
Choosing the right plants
Creating a plan for planting day
Resources available to help you along the way
Both workshops will include a classroom session and a tour of the existing rain gardens at these sites. The sessions will be similar in content.
Visit www.crcwatersheds.org for more information and to register for this free event.
Emergency Contact Listings:
- Police Emergency – 911
- Spills & Emergencies: PA DEP – 484-250-5900
- Fish Kills: PA Fish Commmission – 717-626-0228
- Sanitary Sewer Clogs, Leaks, Overflows: 911
- Illicit Discharges into Storm Sewer System: Colwyn Borough – 610-461-2000
Here are a few resources:
- DEP Stormwater Management Program – http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/stormwater_management/21377
- PA Department of Environmental Education – http://www.depweb.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/dep_home/5968
- Delaware County Conservation District – www.delcocd.org
- Center for Watershed Protection – www.cwp.org
- Pennsylvania Environmental Council – http://www.pecpa.org
- NPDES Program Basics – http://cfpub.epa.gov/npdes/home.cfm?program_id=45
- Municipal MS4 Information – http://cfpub.epa.gov/npdes/stormwater/munic.cfm
- Darby Creek Valley Association – http://dcva.org
- Stormwater Outreach and Reference Documents – http://cfpub1.epa.gov/npdes/stormwatermonth.cfm
- Chester Ridley Crum Watersheds Assocation – http://www.crcwatersheds.org
- Stormwater Tip of the Month – http://colwynborough.com/stormwater-management/news/
Upcoming Stormwater Events for Borough Residents
Here is a great video to share with your family:
Our Borough has an Illicit Discharge Ordinance that prohibits dumping into the Borough’s Storm Sewer System. Report any dumping to the Borough immediately at 610-461-2000.